Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Non-Speaking at Times: Autistic Provides Insight Into Communication Differences

From Ariane Zurcher of Huffington Post's Healthy Living.

AZ: Paula, you've described yourself as a "non-speaking (at times) autistic."
Yes. I think the phrase "non-speaking at times" captures my experience and also that of others who do have speech capabilities but can't always access them. I could also say "partially speaking" or "intermittent speaker." Just because one can speak at times does not mean speech is a reliable form of communication for that person. Also, when a person can speak part of the time, others may not notice they are having trouble speaking. I have sometimes not been able to speak and other people just thought I was "being quiet" or did not have anything to say; that dates back to childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment