Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Day for People who Are Mothers, and How it Got to Be This Way

Can't say I necessarily agree with the writer, but have to say, I had the opportunity to meet Ari Ne’eman, co-founder of the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network, and the first openly autistic White House appointee, nominated by President Obama in 2009 to sit on the National Council on Disability. He explained to me that he does not follow the person-first language and the preference is autistic people. It's the autism that makes them who they are. Nonetheless, this is a good read, but take it with a grain of salt and sarcasm.

Happy Day for People Who are Mothers.
I almost wrote "Happy Mother's Day," but that would have been offensive, because I neglected to note that mothers are, first and foremost, people, just like you and me.
I have come to this realization thanks to a helpful reader who works at a public agency in another county.
The morning after I wrote a 2,500-word story about a dispute among board members at the Autism Family Foundation in Copley - an organization consisting of a family center and a school called "Kids First" - I listened to a voice mail from a woman who identified herself as Dr. Jan Manes.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/12/4485752/bob-dyer-happy-day-for-people.html#storylink=cpy

No comments:

Post a Comment