Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Making Friends with Special Needs Children

Recently, a friend’s son informed me that at his school kids refer to the special needs students as “handicappers” and “aliens.” As a parent of a child with special needs, this both infuriated and saddened me. Though my son Andrew doesn’t attend that particular school, I can guarantee you that the sentiments towards the kids in the special education program on his campus are similar.
Parents and self-advocates within the special needs community spend a great deal of time and energy trying to bring about awareness and acceptance among the rest of the world. Though we’ve come a long way, the conversation with my friend’s son the other day shows me just how far we still have to go.
And it begins with your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment