Sunday, September 25, 2011

Keeping Faith and Raising 2 Sons with ASD

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- As I knocked on the door of Alexis Dunbar’s Oakley house, a voice inside shouted, “Come in, I’m just doing my hair.”
Alexis emerged from the bathroom with lovely auburn hair, snug blue jeans and a huge grin.
“You want some coffee?” she asked, rushing around the house to locate photos of her family. “I’ll put a pot on for later.”
I’m here because Mark Knight at Jiffy Lube on Hendersonville Road said she was just about the best mother he’d ever met.
Both her sons are autistic and never make less than an A or B. One of them (Christian, 15) hasn’t missed a day of school in seven years.“She’s awesome,” Mark said. “She spends so much time with her kids and went to school for months to study about autism.”

No comments:

Post a Comment