Tuesday, December 28, 2010

An Uncertain Future Looms

Poignant piece by Gary Blumenthal, President and CEO of the Association of Developmental Disabilities Providers, that perhaps hits a little too close to home for many of us worried about the nationwide cuts that await our field. Blumenthal is a former member of the Kansas House of Representatives and was appointed last year by President Barack Obama as a member of the National Council on Disability, an independent federal agency that advises the president and Congress on disability issues.

As the father of three healthy, active and mischievous young boys, I often ask myself how my mother ever survived having five children.
Life for my mom, Blanche Blumenthal, was much tougher. Widowed in mid-life with five kids under 18, including my younger brother Steve, who had autism, she had to face schools, social service systems and a community ill prepared to welcome her or my family into the fabric of our hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment