Thursday, December 16, 2010

Traveling with Autism

Laura Shumaker does it again, giving her perspective of life with her adult son on the spectrum.

It was the Saturday morning after Christmas, and the two different alarms that I had set the night before for 4:30 a.m. went off as they should, starting the long day ahead on a jittery note.
I would be flying Matthew, who has autism, back from our home near San Francisco to his special school in rural Pennsylvania, about an hour west of the city.
Matthew is high functioning but socially awkward, and since it wasn't wise for him to travel alone, my husband and I took turns flying him to and from school.
I was on edge not only because it had been an exhausting visit with way too much family togetherness, but because Matthew did not like to fly with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment