Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How Do You Explain Autism to Your Son?

From Patch's Yuji Fukunaga, a Highland Park, Ill., resident and the father of a dynamic seven-year-old boy who has autism.

The book displayed caught my attention. My son and I were in the children’s section of the public library, just prior to the start of Hanukkah.
Nathan Blows Out the Hanukkah Candles
was an amusing title – one that I could relate to. At past Hanukkahs, Kai has wanted to blow out the candles on our menorah.
I grabbed the book and quickly paged through it. It looked like a fun story. At a minimum, it was timely, and I thought that perhaps it would help my son learn a little more about the holiday we would soon be celebrating.
So, I checked the book out and brought it home.
It was only after I began reading it with Kai at bedtime one night that I realized that the title character was a boy with autism. I had unwittingly chosen a book that might spur our first discussion about autism with our son.

No comments:

Post a Comment