Monday, May 17, 2010

Sam Champion of GMA Inspired By Sister's Drive For Autism Cure


Check out this piece by ABC-TV's Good Morning America Anchor Sam Champion.

Since I was a young boy, I've always looked up to my big sister Teresa.
Most Likely to Succeed, she aced law school, married a naval aviator -- John Quigley -- and next became a mom.
It seemed there was nothing she couldn't do.
Her first child was a girl, my beautiful niece Sydney.
Then, two years later, more family joy when the boy in the family, my nephew James, was born.
But when James was about 1 ½ years old, my sister noticed a sudden change.
"He would just stare. And there would be no response," Teresa Champion told "Good Morning America." "And he stopped responding to his name. It's like somebody flicked the light switch."'
She sometimes felt as through James' condition was her fault.
James was 2 years old when Teresa finally heard the diagnosis that would have crushed any parent.
The doctor said James had moderate to severe autism
.

No comments:

Post a Comment