Sunday, March 4, 2012

Military Families Seek Autism Coverage Changes

Add caption
KILLEEN, Texas -- Prepared to remain in the military indefinitely, Lt. Col. Chuck May is determined to get his children the health care they need.
"I would stay in the Army well beyond 30 years if I knew I could have my family covered with TRICARE," said the officer in Fort Hood's Operational Test Command. "I don't care about pay raises, and I don't care about promotions."
May's sons, ages 11 and 14, have been diagnosed with forms of autism spectrum disorder. In the year before TRICARE covered any autism treatment, the May family spent $19,000 on therapy for just one of his sons.
Now TRICARE offers autism therapy through the Extended Care Health Option, but only active-duty service members are eligible to participate. If May retires, his sons lose the coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment