Monday, October 18, 2010

Hairdresser Dedicated to Autism Awarenss

ONTARIO, Calif. -- The Jefferson Awards recognize the extraordinary achievements of people who volunteer and make their communities a better place. This month's award winner is Edith Naranjo, a hairdresser by trade, but in her spare time she is helping families and teachers understand the nuances of a very complicated condition called autism.
"One of the things that I feel they really need and we all do in the beginning is sometimes just a hug and I say, 'You know what? I know what you're going through, I've been there, I'm there," said Edith Naranjo, this month's Jefferson Award recipient.
Her own son, Eric, was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, a high-functioning type of autism, when he was just 6 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment