Thursday, October 28, 2010

Bakery Puts People with Disabilities to Work


PORT WASHINGTON, N.Y. -- Adam Robbins is eating a fresh-out-of-the-oven brownie when I call him at his job at the Sweet Comfort Bakery & Café in Port Washington, New York. It's one of the perks of working for the bakery, which was created to give jobs to people like him, who live with developmental disabilities.
"I like my job," says Robbins. "I like helping the customers out. It's very exciting for me."
Right now, unemployment for people with developmental disabilities is at an historic high, according to the Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy. While the national unemployment level is around nine percent, unemployment for people with mental retardation, autism, Down syndrome and other conditions is more than 14 percent.

No comments:

Post a Comment